The Military Medal was introduced in March 1916 for NCOs and other ranks to reward acts of bravery not considered of sufficient heroism to merit the Distinguished Conduct Medal. The award of the decoration was announced in the London Gazette without any details of the bravery which earned the medal.
The medal was in silver and bore the name, rank, unit and number on the rim. The obverse shows the sovereign, George V and the reverse has the crowned royal cypher and the inscription FOR BRAVERY IN THE FIELD enclosed in a wreath. It is worn on a ribbon with broad dark blue edges flanking a central section of three narrow white and two narrow crimson stripes.
The medals pictured were awarded in September 1917 to Privates from the Welsh Regiment (F Robinson and R Morris ) and are from a private collection.