[The Luton News: Thursday, September 18th, 1919]
Sunday last will be an ever memorable day at St Andrew's Church, Woodside, as a worthy commemoration of the 20 lads of the parish who made the great sacrifice for King and country.
In the morning the Vicar received an altar cross from Mrs Crawley [of Stockwood House] at the chancel steps and, placing it on the altar, dedicated it to the glory of God and in memory of the men of the parish who had fallen in the war, and as a thank-offering for those who answered the call in the country's hour of need.
At the evening service the public memorial, an excellent brass mounted on oak, the gift of parishioners and friends, was dedicated by the Vicar, the Rev P. Hyne, as the Union Jack flag was lifted from the memorial by Col Emery, C.B.,C.M.G., Royal Artillery. It will be of interest to some to know that Col Emery is the son of the late Archdeacon of Ely and founder of Church Congress.
An inspiring and appropriate sermon was preached by the Rev Martin Griffiths, the Chaplain to the R.F.A., Biscot Camp, after which three R.F.A. Men in charge of their Sgt-Major, sounded the Last Post and Reveille from the west end of the church.
A large laurel wreath over the memorial was made and placed by Miss Joan Crawley and her cousin, Miss Maude, daughter of General Maude, who gained so great prestige by his fine leadership in the Mesopotamian campaign.
The inscription on the brass is as follows: “To the glory of God and to the honoured memory of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-19 – Sgt T. Betts, Pte F. Brandon, Pte W. Clark, Pte G. Frost, Pte J. Flitton, Pte H. Fensome, Pte L. Fensome, Pte E. Gregory, Sgt W. Ginger, Pte E. Hawkins, Cpl W. Hart, Pte T. Harris, Pte A. Harris, Pte F. Keen, Pte A. Norris, Pte J. Prime, Pte G. Puddephatt, Pte J. Perry, Pte E. Perry, Pte B. Wood. 'Father, in Thy gracious keeping, leave we now Thy servants sleeping'.”