Luton WW1 diary: November 26th, 1914

Stories from The Luton News, November 26th, 1914

Workers at Commercial Cars in Biscot Road, Luton, received a letter from the Secretary of State for War, Lord Kitchener, thanking them for their efforts in fulfilling Government work.

Commer Cars, Biscot Road, 1914He wrote: "I wish to impress upon those employed by your establishment the importance of the Government work upon which they are engaged. I full appreciate the efforts which the employees are making and I trust that everything will be done to assist the military authorities by pushing on all orders as rapidly as possible.

"I should like all engaged by your establishment to know that it is fully recognised that they, in carrying out the great work of providing the Army with supplies and equipment, are doing their duty for their King and Country equally with those who have joined the Army for service in the field."

  • A verdict of wilful murder against some person or persons unknown was returned at the adjourned inquest held at the Sportsman, Stopsley, this morning, concerning the circumstances under which the body of a week-old baby came to be wrapped in paper, rotting in the hedge at Crawley Green Hill. County Deputy Coroner Mr G. J. M. Whyley said that from the doctor's evidence there was no doubt but that death was due to fracture of the skull. The question the jury had to consider was whether this fracture was caused accidentally or intentionally. He thought it was a clear case of murder, but unfortunately the culprit seemed to have got away.

  • On Monday evening a tram-car ran off the track in Midland Road just as it was entering a loop, crossed the pavement and struck a house. By the time it reached the house, however, it had almost stopped and only a moderate amount of damage was done, while no-one was injured.

  • Early on Tuesday morning a motor lorry driven by Driver Robertson, Mechanical Transport, A.S.C., collided with one of Messrs Facer's coal trolleys when turning from Bute Street into George Street. Considerable damage was done to the motor but the coal trolley, which was being driven by Mr Fensome, was undamaged.

  • We hear that at the meeting of the Tolls Committee last evening, it was decided to close the Waller Street swimming pool for the season and to put down the floor of the Winter Assembly Hall, which will thus be available for meetings etc in about a week's time.

  • The work in connection with the O'Neill memorial window at Luton Parish Church has now been completed. The window was originally the western-most window in the Someries Chapel which Lady Wernher is having restored. With the consent of the two sons of former vicar, the late Rev James O'Neill, Lady Wernher has removed the window into the north transept. The restored Someries Chapel will be probably dedicated on January 24th.

  • Mr E. T. Norgate, of 10 Church Street, Luton, has sent to the Navy some 2,500 cigarettes contributed by the patrons of his hairdressing salon.

  • A father summoned at the Borough Police Court on Saturday morning for failing to send his son regularly to school, was told by chairman Mr W. R. Phillips that "a bit of birch" would do the boy good. The father said the boy was sent to school every day with his sister but played truant when reaching the school gates. An order was made for the boy to attend Old Bedford Road School, or to an industrial school if he did not comply.

  • "Widely known coloured singers" the Fisk Jubilee Trio have been at Mount Tabor for three days. There were fairly large gatherings on all occasions and the funds of the church should benefit considerably. The trio have now been singing in England under religious auspices for nearly ten years. Fisk Jubilee Trio

  • A special express is being run to Bury St Edmunds on Saturday next to enable the friends of the Beds Territorials to visit the troops. The train will leave Luton (GNR) at 11.50 am and return from Bury St Edmunds at 10 pm. The fare is 3s 3d, 3rd class return.

  • This week's recruits for the Regular Army: A. W. Bacchus, R. Bacchini, H. Bowles, W. Clarke, F. Garner, A . L. Garside, H. Gilman, J. Goodson, F. G. Gowing, C. Haddon, R. A. Hawkes, J. Hinks, F. G. Hirst, F. G. Keen, S. Keens, E. C. Lintern, W. J. Morley, A. Stanbridge, A. R. A. Stringer, G. Taylor, A. Young.

  • Wrest House is filled with wounded soldiers. In addition to the few convalescents who are sent home on furlough as soon as they are fit, 140 were brought in late on Friday night. They were taken from the trenches in the neighbourhood of Ypres on Thursday, motored in ambulances to Boulogne and shipped to Southampton, where they arrived early on Friday. They de-trained at about 5.15 pm at Ampthill. About sixty of them had to be carried on stretchers from the train to the ambulance carriages awaiting outside the station.

  • A regrettable incident occurred at Luton Electricity Works shortly after noon on Tuesday. Mr Henry Kell, an assistant engineer at the works, was explaining the working of an automatic revolver to the military guard, when somehow it discharged and the bullet evidently passed through the right thigh of Pte Alfred Edward Rowland, of B Company, 23rd County of London Regiment. The injured man was then taken on the police ambulance to the Military Hospital at Wardown. Since then he has made good progress.

  • This morning, the Mayor (Councillor W. J. Primett) received a request for 100 recruits for the Beds Yeomanry. Applicants must be over 20 years of age, able to ride, and they will be for foreign service only.

  • This afternoon's official communique from the War Office states: "In Belgium the artillery duels continued on the 27th, but without special incident. The German heavy artillery is showing less activity. Only one infantry attack to the south of Ypres took place, which was repulsed by our troops. Towards evening our artillery brought down a German biplane containing three aviators. One was killed and the others taken prisoners. In the region of Arras and further to the south, there has been no change. The day was very quiet in the region of Aisne. In the Champagne district our heavy artillery inflicted very heavy losses upon the artillery of the enemy."



First-class Petty Officer Charles Dimmock, an old Queen Square boy, was one of the crew of the HMS Good Hope which was in the naval battle in the Pacific and is now missing with all hands. He was 34 years of age and was brought up by his grandparents, the late Mr and Mrs George Dimmock, of 42 Albert Road, Luton. He joined the Navy as a boy and had 16 years service to his credit. He leaves a widow and three young children living in Portsmouth.

Pte George Bunyan, of the Highland Light Infantry, died on November 5th from wounds received in action on November 4th. He was born at Aley Green but lived in Luton most of his life and was on the reserve when war broke out. He leaves a widow and two little children at 157 High Town Road, Luton.

Pte Herbert Fensome, of the 1st Battalion, Bedfordshire Regt, a reservist lately living at Maple Road, Luton, was killed in action on September 15th.