This page contains a list of Objects and Places that are associated with Luton's Great War 1914-1918. They have been scanned/photographed and uploaded by project volunteers and members of the public. Many of these objects are linked to individuals and/or events, and form part of a larger story.
80/44 Number on British fuzes. Time Fuze. Percussion element removed. Introduced 1917. Obsolete 1944.
On Tuesday afternoon the Luton Rural Tribunal met at the offices of Messrs Austin and Barnard, George Street West, Mr B Hartop presiding. At the outset the Clark read an annonymolus letter from Leagrave and the writer asked if something could not be done to bring conscientious objectors into the
From "A Lutonian in the Trenches" Sir - Will you please allow me a small space in the Luton News re a protest against the issue of rum to the troops at the front. By the way the petition form reads for persons' signature, it would lead anyone not acquainted with the amount we get, to think
These two pages show the front and back of a card issued to William Edward Owen in May 1908 when he left the army after 8 years.
R.H. &R.F.A Records
Certificate of Transfer to Reserve
Regtl. No9922 Rank Driver
Owen William Edward
Unit & Regimentfrom which transferred to reserve R.H.& R.F.A.
Enlisted on May 18th 1900
Certificate of discharge of No 9922 Driver Owen William Edward R.H.&R.F.A
Specialist qualifications (military) nil
Chevrons one red four blue
British War Medal 1919
Victory Medal 1919 Wound stripes nil
9922 Driver Owen William Edward
This is to certify that the ex soldier named above has served with the colours for four years 196 days and his character during this period has been assessed as very good. Smart worker
Letter in Luton News February 1915 from Lutonian at the front. It doesn't do to get in the dumps, as it not only makes yourself unhappy but your mates as well.
ARTICLE IN LUTON NEWS FEBRUARY 1915. The fund has been rather hard hit recently by the furnishing of houses for the wives and families of a few Belgians who have secured work in the town and district and at the present time, the committee have scope for further work if the income permitted.
Attestation forms are forms that are filled in when an individual enlists (joins) the armed forces.
Medical history forms enabled the Ministry to keep track of the wounds and ailments affecting soldiers prior to joining, and whilst serving.
This pocket-sized booklet contains everything that Officers needed to know when moving from billets into a front-line trench. It gives a fascinating insight into trench life.
Some samples of pages from a small booklet published and sold in the UK to help British soldiers to understand and pronounce common French words and phrases including military terms.
This small hardback book was printed in 1917 and is a collection of soldiers' marching songs, popular parodies and rhymes collected by 2nd Lieutenant Nettleingham whilst on active service with the Royal Flying Corps.
This report from the Luton News 1st January 1920 tells the tragic story of two neighbouring families from the hamlet of Great Bramingham who lost seven sons between them.
Bedfordshire's own "Saving Private Ryan" story.
A set of 3 pictures showing the names of the WW1 fallen as listed on the West face, upper section, of the Luton War Memorial outside the Town Hall.
description of object
In dealing with a case at the Middlesex Sessions on Saturday, Mr Herbert Nield, M P indicated that during this week Parliament would probably take important action with regard to the treating of intoxicating drinks to soldiers by civilians.
Unique Smoking Competition - Mr A C Bunting, who recently entered into possession of the Moor Hut of the Y.M.C.A is doing good work and is making excellent arrangements to attract the Tommies. On Saturday night a unique competition was held and was a source of attraction.
Article in Luton News March 1915. Pte W Smith of 1st Batt.Bedfordshire Regt., whose father and mother lives at 72 North Street, Luton again writes asking for food.
The Union (Baptists and Independents) chapel was built in 1846 and a Sunday School building was added at the rear in 1889, but Baptists at Caddington go back much further.
St Mary's, Luton, is an Anglican Church in the centre of the town of Luton, England. The church has a rich and long history, being over 850 years old and has been rebuilt and refurbished constantly over the centuries.
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes Christ Church:
Christ Church was erected in 1858, and since then it has been considerably altered greatly adding to the comfort of the congregation. It has accommodation for 850 worshippers.
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes St Matthews Church:
St. Matthews Church, erected in 1875, situated in High Town occupies a commanding site. Seating accommodation 800.
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes St Saviours Church:
St Saviours Church (Russell Street) – Foundation stone laid in 1877, but only the nave was built. In 1897 the north aisle was completed, seating accommodation 650.
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes St Paul's Church:
St Paul’s Church, erected in 1890; seating accommodation 700. Possesses a carved reredos.
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes the Chapel Street Wesleyan Chapel:
Chapel Street Circuit – Chapel Street Chapel (Locally known as the Big Wesleyan) was opened in 1852, and is one of the largest places of worship in Methodism.
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes the Waller Street Wesleyan Chapel:
Waller Street Chapel is a solid building. Foundation stone laid in 1863. Seating accommodation 1100.
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes the High Town Chapel:
First Circuit – High Town Chapel is the head. The old chapel now used as a lecture hall and Sunday School was built in 1852. The new church provides accommodation for 800 people, and was opened in 1898.
- Minister: Rev. A. Fawcett
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes Mount Tabor Chapel:
Third Circuit – Mount Tabor, at the corner of Hibbert Street and Castle Street, is the head, and has seating accommodation for 700 worshippers.
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes Park Street Baptist Church:
Park Street Baptist Chapel is the oldest Nonconformist chapel in Luton. It is closely associated with John Bunyan. There is seating accommodation for 1000.
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes Union Chapel:
Union Chapel, in castle street, was formed in 1837. It will seat 930.
- Pastorate (vacant)
- Church Secretary: Mr. F. Thurston.
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes Wellington Street Chapel:
Wellington Street Chapel – Members of the Old Baptist and Union Chapels formed this church, which was started in 1846. Still known as the New Baptist. Seating accommodation for 900.
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes the Bethel Baptist Church:
Baptist Church , Chapel Street, is the home of the Strict Baptists. Chapel opened in 1907, with seating accommodation for 250 people.
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes the Ebenezer Baptist Church:
Ebenezer Baptist Church (Hastings Street) is the home of the Particular Baptists. Built in 1853.
- Pastor, Mr. J. Kemp.
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes King Street Congregational Church:
The Luton Yearbook 1914 describes Bury Park Congregational Church:
Bury Park Congregational Church was erected in 1903, and has a seating capacity for 600 Worshippers. The Church is a branch of that at King Street.