Download Files Here
Biscot Camp was the home of Number 6 Reserve Training Brigade (Territorial Forces) Royal Field Artillery.
Many thousands of Gunners and Drivers, were trained here during WWI, before they were shipped overseas for service manning the big guns of the Royal Field Artillery.
As can be seen on this map, it was located in the area of Luton framed by Kennington Road, Biscot Road, Holland Road, and Leagrave Road. These roads had been constructed immediatly prior to the outbreak of war, but houses had not yet been built on them. Denbeigh Road Primary School had also not yet been built, but the site of the school is clearly marked on the 1914 map, and it lies at the centre of where the camp once was.
Much more information about the camp can be read in the surviving war diaires that have been transcribed as part of this project.
Entertainments were held at the camp, primarily in the YMCA Hut, that was donated by Mr and Mrs Stewart Hubbard, and opened by Princess Victoria Louise on the 10th April 1916.
Historian Basil Williams was an Education Officer stationed here, and was awarded an M.B.E for his service. He wrote the preface for a book about Abraham Lincoln.
The commanding Officer during the early stages of the war, was a Colonel C.H. Alexander, he left in January 1917. He was replaced by Colonel C. H. de la Montague Hill (Col. Hill was promoted to Brigadier-General by 1918)
The camp closed in November 1919 as deduced by the dates in the Autograph book marking the closure of the YMCA hut.
The last of the huts from the camp was demolished in September 1937, it was believed this hut was the YMCA hut, as it continued in use as St. Andrews Parish Hall.
The images and plans linked to this entry, are held by BLARS, and the titles of the images are the catalogue numbers you need to request to obtain the originals.