Many men of the Diamond Foundry in Dallow Road enlisted at the outbreak of war, and a significant number were to lay down their lives for their country. Like other large Luton firms, it concentrated on Government work during the duration of the war, and offered help in other ways too.
In November 1914, managing director Mr H. Newsome Davis, backed by employees, offered to adapt their social club, the Davis Institute, for use as a 20-bed Red Cross hospital. Lady Alice Wernher offered to meet the expense of medical equipment and furnishings.
Pte John (#James) Stenhouse, 3553, 1/5th Bedfords, died on a hospital ship on August 18th* from wounds sustained at Gallipoli two days previously. He was buried on "an unnamed island at which the ship called" that later was revealed as Lemnos (East Mudros Military Cemetery).