Stopsley War Memorial, commemorating the 24 men of the village who fell in the Great War, was unveiled by Mr Ben Hartop on March 27th, 1921, in front of a crowd of several hundred people.
The memorial was placed on the site of the old Well House Green (now the junction of St Thomas' Road and Hitchin Road). The site was given by Lady Wernher, of Luton Hoo, who would have unveiled it had she not been away on the Continent at the time.
The Luton News report of the event said: "The monument, which is of original and beautiful design, is of Portland stone and stands upon a very solid base, rising to a height of over 12 feet. There are four marble slabs with polished granite columns at each of the four corners, and on the tapering pillar is some fine ornamental work. The inscriptions, which are of lead lettering are as follows.
"To the Glory of God and in grateful memory of the Men of this Parish who gave their lives for King and Country in the Great War, 1914-1918. Lest we forget."
Named on the war memorial.
E. Bernard Angel
Arthur Thomas Cain
Ernest William Chapman
Ernest Sidney Crick
Arthur William Fensome
Nelson Thomas Pike
The sum of £200 was needed for the memorial and, thanks to parishioners and friends, the total had been obtained before the unveiling ceremony. The cost of fencing the memorial had also been met.
Vicar of Stopsley, the Rev E. T. Leslie, wearing the uniform of his former army chaplaincy, dedicated the memorial, accompanied by the Rev Arthur S. Woolliscroft (Wesleyan) and the Rev G. Roberts Hern (Baptist). The united choirs of the village churches led the singing, and Mr Hopkins, of the Luton Comrades Band, sounded the Last Post.
[The Luton News, March 31st, 1921]