Leagrave War Memorial

 

Leagrave War Memorial, a monument to the men of Leagrave, Limbury and Biscot who gave their lives in World War One, was unveiled on the afternoon of Sunday, July 24th, 1921, by Lady Ludlow, of Luton Hoo, in front of a large crowd of people.

The memorial in Marsh Road is an obelisk 12 feet high standing on a square base and is built of Portland stone. It was designed by Mr Basil Deacon and built by Giddings and Son, of Luton.

The Luton News at the time said the memorial was centrally situated on a plot of land between the parishes of Leagrave and Limbury. Its estimated total cost, including a memorial garden, was £450 that was being raised by voluntary subscription.

Lady Ludlow was accompanied at the unveiling ceremony by Lord Ludlow. Mr S. Wingrave, President of the memorial committee, presided at an event attended by the Mayor and Mayoress of Luton (Alderman and Mrs H. Arnold) and the Mayor and Mayoress of Dunstable (Alderman and Mrs W. E. Seamons).

The ceremony began with a procession from Leagrave Hall. The procession included the Regimental Band of the 5th Battalion, Beds Regt, TF, under Bandmaster Goodger; a contingent of the 3rd Field Company Anglian Division, Royal Engineers, TF, under the command of Major B. C. Deacon; a contingent of the 5th Battalion, Beds and Herts Regt, under the command of Capt A. Mander; a bugle party of the 3rd St Albans Cadet Battalion, Church Lads' Brigade; Leagrave Boy Scouts; Luton Red Cross Prize Band, under Mr H. Mortimer; local ex-servicemen; the War Memorial Committee, and relatives and friends.

As the procession approached the memorial, the Red Cross Band played the Dead March, the military marched in slow time and members of the Beds and Herts Regiment carrying rifles reversed arms as a military tribute of respect to fallen comrades. Lady Ludlow drew the Union Jack from the memorial before the Last Post and Reveille were sounded by Second-Lieut Farmer, Cpl Yates, buglers Shillingford and Bone (St Albans KRRC).

The service of dedication was conducted by Major the Rev Stanley Bishop, who also conducted an open-air service on the memorial ground during the evening. A collection raised £40 6s for the war memorial fund.

In her address, Lady Ludlow said: "These men of your fought and died for liberty. It is very fitting that the emblem of their sacrifice should stand on an open space, free of all barriers, where numbers can congregate and pay homage to the heroic dead.

"It is well the succeeding generations should be reminded of the great sacrifices these men have made, and that we should be able to come and do honour to their memory. It was the magnificent and fearless spirit of self-sacrifice in service that these men have shown that we, who have seen and suffered, should endeavour to emulate. And more than that, we must see that it lives on in future generations, that those who come after may be worthy descendants of their noble ancestors."

The inscription on the war memorial reads: "Lest we forget. In honour of the men who went forth from Leagrave, Limbury and Biscot to the Great War 1914-1919 and in ever grateful memory of the 55 men of these parishes who came not back, and whose names are here inscribed."

Charles H. Ansell

Joseph Baker

William J. Bass

Cecil H. Blaydon

Albert E. Blaydon

Reginald S. Buckingham

Percy G. Clarke

Sidney W. Clark

William Collett

George Coote

Hugh Cumberland

Harry L. Dennis

Sidney G. Dimmock

Leonard Donne

George W. Draper

Arthur Dumpleton

Alfred E. Dyer

H. Ernest Elsdon

Frank Fane

William Flitton

Nathaniel J. Fowler

Ernest W. T. Groom

Hedley W. Harfield

Walter H. Hathaway

William J. Hinds

Walter C. Hopkins

William Horsler

Arthur Huckle

William Jackson

Fred Jones

Charles Jones

Joseph Lawrence

Horace K. Leaney

Harold S. Lee

George W. Letting

Thomas L. Letting

Stanley E. Ling

Arthur J. Little

Percy Luck

John McPheat

Fred J. Munns

Walter Munns

Harry Newman

Frank E. Page

William Peck

Walter W. Pinney

Edward P. Potter

George Scrivener

Thomas Stokes

Alfred Warren

Robert Wilkin

William Wilkin

George Wilkin

Frank Wilson

Fred V. Wrightson

[The Luton News, July 28th, 1921]

 

 

Object Location

Author: Deejaya

Add comment

Log in or register to post comments