This official acknowledgement of the role played by Wardown House in the care given to sick and wounded soldiers during World War One hung near the entrance in the years following the conflict.
In October 1914, the house was taken over and run by the North Midland Division as a hospital for the huge number of men it had brought to Luton for training. In that capacity it accepted its first patient on December 1st, 1914.
With the end of military need for a hospital at Wardown, it was taken over from November 8th, 1915, by two local Voluntary Aid Detachments of the British Red Cross. It continued to care for wounded soldiers, first sent from Aylesbury and later from Cambridge, until a closure gathering was held on May 20th, 1919.