E5 Event

Appreciation of the Specials

In recognition of service rendered by the members of the town's Special Constabulary, Luton Watch Committee summoned them to a dinner at the Winter Assembly Hall on February 12th, 1919.

Proposing a toast to the Specials, Mayor Henry Impey said that in Luton they had found men of all ranks of business prepared to give up their leisure and some of their business time to help in a time of need, as special constables. Now they were being demobilised and the difficulty for them was to re-accustom themselves to their old civilian life.

'Duds' Concert Party grand entertainment

Luton had enjoyed entertainers from the military, thanks to the Biscoteers from Biscot Camp, who had given their final concerts in December 1918. But a Royal Engineers concert party from Bedford previously unseen in the town gave a concert at the Winter Assembly Hall on February 26th, 1919, to raise funds to help enable the Discharged Sailors and Soldiers Association to furnish their new members' club, the Ivy Leaf in Park Street.

Dinner for returned prisoners of war

On Thursday, March 13th, 1919, Luton Borough War Prisoners Committee entertained around 200 men who had returned from enemy captivity at a dinner in the Winter Assembly Hall in Waller Street. The Beds & Herts Saturday Telegraph published a page of names and pictures following an event chaired by Councillor Walter Primett.

 

ABBOT Pte E., Black Watch - 61 Adelaide Street.

ABBOTT: Pte F. E., Royal Naval Division - 11 Moreton Road.

ALLEN: Pte A., 20594 R.A.M.C. - 29 Lea Road.

ALLEN: Pte C. H., 29208 2nd Essex - 5 Pondwicks Road.

Huge blaze at Lye dye works

Luton had witnessed some spectacularly destructive fires unrelated to the conflict during World War One. They included a blaze at the Diamond Foundry in Dallow Road in September 1916, at the Brown & Green Foundry in Windsor Street/South Road in November 1915, and at the Wing, Arnold & Wing hat factory two days later. On Sunday, September 15th, 1918, a blaze at the T. Lye & Sons dye works in Old Bedford Road lit up the night sky. This was how The Luton News reported the Lye blaze.

2nd Battalion Beds Volunteers camp

At the outbreak of war in 1914 Britain still relied on volunteers to serve in the armed forces. But there were others prepared to do their bit at home as a civilian army in the event of an enemy invasion.

Although at first meeting official antipathy, the home guard volunteers continued to organise themselves, forming local Volunteer Defence Corps that began to find respectability. By January 1915, Luton had its own Volunteer unit.

Women's Land Army recruitment

Saturday, June 1st, 1918, was Maiden's Day in Luton, and the girls in smocks, breeches and leggings made a brave show in the town in the appeal for recruits for the splendid Women's Land Army.

A public meeting was held outside the Town Hall, and there was a stirring call to those of the large audience of women and girls who could do so, to join the land workers. The response was very satisfactory, for many recruits were afterwards obtained.

King George V visits Luton factories

[From The Luton Reporter: Tuesday, November 13th, 1917]

Luton has been honoured today by a visit from the King. The Royal parties motored in from London Road, arriving shortly before 11 o'clock and proceeding by way of Castle Street and Church Street to the Thermo Works, off Hitchin Road.

(Pictured, below right, is George Fern, a disabled worker employed at the Thermo Works for whom the King had some sympathetic words.)

Royals attend Wernher wedding

What the Luton News hailed as one of the most interesting of Society events took place on July 20th, 1917, with the wedding of Major Harold Augustus Wernher, second son of the late Sir Julius Wernher and Lady Wernher, of Luton Hoo, and Countess Anastasia (Zia) de Torby, elder daughter of the Grand Duke Michael Michailovitch of Russia and the Countess de Torby.

Brougham for the bride

 

A touch of the last century was imparted to the smart military wedding solemnised at Luton Parish Church on Saturday afternoon [April 21st, 1917] when Miss Helena Agnes Merchant, daughter of Councillor and Mrs Walter William Merchant, of 55 Brook Street, was wedded to Lieut Robert Henry Johnston, who is well known in the military element now so busily engaged in this district.

Lieut Johnston is a practical engineer of marked ability, and prior to the war was in South Africa holding a good position in his profession.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - E5 Event