It was announced in the Beds & Herts Saturday Telegraph on December 14th, 1918, that L-Cpl Leonard Henry Slough, 25903, 1/5th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment, had been awarded the Military Medal for bravery.
His military record shows that he gained the medal at Umbrella Hill on July 27th, 1917, during the Palestine Campaign. He had joined the colours in February 1915 and trained at Landguard, Felixstowe, before being drafted to Egypt with the Beds Regiment in March 1916.
It had been seven years since Luton and South Beds went to the polls in a Parliamentary election – in that case for a by-election won by Liberal Cecil Harmsworth. The Harmsworth majority was just 613 over a Conservative opponent. Would the participation of the Labour Party and women voting for the first time have a dramatic effect over past elections on December 14, 1918, or would the Lib-Con Coalition vote swell the Harmsworth majority?
With the end of hostilities, prisoners of war were repatriated and began to tell their stories, including this one told in the Beds & Herts Saturday Telegraph on December 14, 1918, by a Lutonian who had been captured by the Turks.
Indescribable horrors have been suffered by Sgt Frederick Cleaver (Bedfordshire Regiment), who is on two months leave at his home, 47 May Street, Luton, after an absence on service of three and a half years, in the hands of the Turks as a prisoner.
The terrible sufferings of British prisoners of war, especially on their release from German camps, was described to the Luton News (December 12th, 1918) by a Lutonian who had shared them. Pte William Hardwick (47929, 2/8th Lancashire Fusiliers), of 33 Cowper Street, arrived home on December 1st, following his capture at Hargicourt in France on March 21st, 1918, the opening day of the German spring offensive that year.
A wounded Luton hero awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal was Pte Arthur Brandon (pictured), 47750, the 15th Welsh Regiment. Agnes (nee Lawrence), his wife of five years, lived at 57 Cromwell Road and his parents at 848 Hitchin Road, Round Green.
The expense of fighting the Great War curtailed development and public expenditure, and the influx of munition workers and others into Luton placed a strain on existing facilities, not least housing. There was talk in 1918 of a need for 1,000 new houses in the town, and some existing areas were described as slums. Board of Guardians member Violet Lewis, in an article in the Beds & Herts Saturday Telegraph of December 14, 1918, saw a need for new housing, but, equally important, homes that were family dwellings fit to live in comfortably. Her article read:
Remarkable acts of daring in September 1918 earned Sgt Joseph Henry Barford from Luton the Distinguished Conduct Medal, awarded the following November. The Beds & Herts Saturday Telegraph of December 7th, 1918, recorded his exploit.
“One day in September he led a party and killed six German machine gunners and captured the guns and put them our of order.
In 1918, women aged over 30 had at last won the right to vote. Two years later the first Luton women eligible to sit on a jury at Assizes or Quarter Sessions were named. There were 112 of them, half being widows and most in business. On October 7th, 1920, the Luton News published the following list of the 112:
ABELL: Mrs H. M., draper, 56 Stuart Street.
ARNOLD: Mrs A. E., widow, publican, 96 New Town Street.
AUSTIN: Miss E., draper, 49a Stuart Street.
BALDWIN: Miss R., confectioner, 90 Wellington Street.
Allied warships anchored off Constantinople in November 1918. Photo from London Illustrated News.
On October 30th, 1918, the Armistice of Mudros brought hostilities between the Ottoman Empire and the Allies to an end as of noon the following day. The agreement was reached on board the British battleship HMS Agamemnon, a ship with two Lutonians among its crew.
L-Cpl Percy Ledsham Lee, 71624, 26th Battalion Royal Fusiliers, received a personal message from Commanding Officer Major-General Sydney Lawford (41st Division) on being awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal.
While returning POWs frequently had stories of cruelty and near starvation in German hands, L-Cpl Bertie Perkins (266268, Yorkshire Regiment) was one who confessed to “a fairly good time,” although he had sad stories of cruelty to British prisoners working close up to the German lines.
He reached home at 3 Cumberland Street, Luton, on December 2nd, 1918, after arriving back in England at Hull on the SS Porto on November 22nd. He was enjoying two months' leave.
On Saturday, December 7th, 1918, the Luton branch of the National Federation of Discharged Sailors and Soldiers (DS&S) formally opened their newly acquired HQ, the Ivy Leaf Club in Park Street. The premises had previously been used by Volunteers and Territorials as their headquarters for many years.