The broad view taken by Lady Wernher – the result of the wide vision which might well have been anticipated – has provided the solution to what looked perilously like an impasse with regard to the Discharged Sailors and Soldiers Federation memorial service in tribute to their fallen comrades.
A Government imposed increase of six shillings a ton on the price of coal produced a protest at an emergency meeting of Luton Chamber of Commerce, with concerns over the knock-on effect of the increase on other goods and on unemployment.
The decision made by some Parks Committee members on July 7th, 1919, to refuse the Discharged Sailors and Soldiers Federation permission to use Wardown Park for a drumhead memorial service was not made public until the Saturday Telegraph hit the streets five days later.
[Beds & Herts Saturday Telegraph: July 12th, 1919]
Probably two-thirds of the total of ladies' headwear this autumn will be made in the London and Manchester areas. It could – or to say the least, a considerable portion of it could - have been made in Luton.
By the courtesy of the Borough Engineer, Mr J. W. Tomlinson, we are able to reproduce this plan of the layout of the site at Russell Rise which the Corporation of Luton are acquiring for one portion of their housing scheme.
L-Cpl Frederick Edward Butterfield, pictured left in the above montage, promised a dying comrade (top right) on the battlefield at Trones Wood on the Somme in 1915 that he would care for his widow and children. When he himself was discharged as unfit for military service in 1917 after being wounded in five different battles, he sought out his comrade's widow and they were married.
“If you know a better loan – go to it,” is the advice of one of the advertising streamers which have been a feature of the Luton streets during the past week, in connection with the borough's campaign on behalf of the Victory Loan. The adaptation of a well-known Bairnsfather dictum is embellished with a representation of “Ole Bill”.
[From the Beds & Herts Tuesday Telegraph: July 8th, 1919]
On Sunday the annual church parade of the National Union of Railwaymen was held at Luton in aid of the widows and orphans fund.
The procession in the afternoon formed up on the East Ward Recreation Ground. The members worse their sashes and carried their picturesque banners, and many branches took part in the imposing parade, including several from the London boroughs, St Albans, Leighton etc.
[From the Beds & Herts Saturday Telegraph: July 5th, 1919]
Details of the surprises that were being prepared for Germany in 1918 are coming to light, and one of these is an invention by a Luton officer, Lieut-Col H. Newton DSO, of Meadowcroft, Studley Road.
The actual technical description of the invention is too complicated to convey anything to the majority of our readers, but it is a species of clutch relating to a new system of battlefield transport.