A special sub-committee, consisting of the members of the Town Council, members of the Luton War Savings Committee and a number of other members, had been appointed to go into the arrangements for the reception of a tank which was being presented to Luton in recognition of the success of the War Savings movement in the town.
The Beds & Herts Saturday Telegraph [May 3rd, 1919] reported that Savings Committee Secretary, Mr G. E. M. Walker, had asked the National War Savings Committee what had become of the tank which was to be named after the town in the event of a quarter of a million pounds being raised in Tank Week.
Their reply was that the War Office were not able to keep a record of the war weapons named after towns.
He then wrote that the Committee were not even assured that a tank was named after Luton. They had been told that this would be done, but this was the last they had heard of it, and he accordingly asked for a definite assurance that there had been a “Luton” tank in action, as this would have a considerable effect on any new campaign that might be organised.
To this there was a reply that the Ministry of Munitions had given a definite assurance that a tank was in fact named after the town. No information could be given as to its war record, but it would be represented to the War Office that Luton was desirous of having that particular tank as it own souvenir.