[Luton News: Thursday, May 15th, 1919]
The Rev George Herbert Cobbold Shorting, who has been Vicar of Stopsley since the latter part of 1914, has been appointed by the Bishop of St Albans as Vicar of Kempston, near Bedford.
Before coming to Stopsley, Mr Shorting was Vicar of Kimpton. He concluded his vicariate there with the harvest festival services in 1914, and after coming to Stopsley quickly made his presence felt.
A very outspoken vicar, he had several brisk passages of arms with other people since he came to Stopsley, and quite recently he caused a considerable flutter among the Parish Council and also the Luton Rural District Council by his allegations as to the very insanitary condition of part of Stopsley village.
In addition to fulfilling his parochial duties, he has done a considerable amount of diocesan work since he came to Stopsley. He will be leaving the parish about the end of July. [Rev Shorting took his final services at Stopsley on July 20th, 1919].
His new parish at Kempston is a big one. There are already three churches, while a fourth is to be built. He will have the assistance of two curates in ministering to a population of about 6,000. The extent of the parish may be estimated when it is mentioned that from the boundary of the parish on the Bedford side to the Vicarage is three-and-a-half miles.
Mrs Shorting will not be on strange ground, for her father, Major-General Cherry-Garrard, was formerly the Colonel commanding Kempston Barracks, and two of her uncles are medical practitioners in Bedford.
The Rev E. T. [Ernest Thomas] Leslie, who has been appointed by the Bishop of St Albans to succeed Mr Shorting at Stopsley, is at present an Army Chaplain. He was ordained deacon by the Bishop of St Albans uin 1910 and became a curate at Hitchin, while his ordination as priest followed in 1911.
Since becoming a Chaplain to the Forces, Mr Leslie has seen a good deal of foreign service, including the Palestine campaign. Before taking orders, we believe he was in India. At present he is stationed at one of the Army camps near Winchester.