Three weeks after he resigned as headmaster of Chapel Street School, Luton, for health reasons, Mr William Green died at 3.30pm on Sunday, April 27th, 1919, at his home at 47 Brook Street. He was aged 61.
A native of Nottinghamshire, Mr Green came to Luton as assistant at the Higher Grade School, Waller Street, in 1879, from Battersea Training College. In 1884 he was appointed headmaster of Leagrave School, which was then under the jurisdiction of the Luton School Board.
He was transferred to Old Bedford Road Boys' School in 1890, before becoming headmaster at Chapel Street in 1898.
A funeral service for Mr Green was held on May 1st, followed by interment at the General Cemetery in Rothesay Road. The Rev A. E. Chapman, Vicar of Luton, officiated.