[From The Luton News: Thursday, April 3rd, 1919]
The Luton Red Cross Band, like many other local institutions, suffered under very great difficulties during the war. Its conductor, Mr F. Mortimer, and the majority of its playing members were on active service.
Those who remained, however, kept the institution alive, and now, demobilisation having resulted in the return of most of the service members, the band has undergone a considerable post-bellum reorganisation. Some of the members have resumed their original positions in the band; others have been required to make an exchange of instruments.
It is hoped the reorganisation will result in a combination of effort which will make the band equal to, if not able to surpass, the standard of merit which in pre-war days enabled the band to win the Championship of the South when first instituted, and to hold it continuously until the contest was suspended owing to war conditions; and also to enable the band to figure with fair success in the more important contest at Belle Vue, Manchester, and still more important Crystal Palace contest for the Thousand Guineas Trophy.
The new constitution of the band is now:
Soprano – Mr H. Ellingham.
Cornets – solo, Mr H. Mortimer and Mr E. Carter; first, Messrs B. Baker and F. Cherry; repiano, Mr H. Pilkington; second, Messrs F. Green and . Steedens; third, Mr F. Fuller.
Flugel – Mr T. Burgess.
Horns – Messrs W. Clarke, R. Tearle, W. McGeorge and E. Davis.
Baritones – Messrs H. F. O'Dell and A. Swain.
Euphonium – Mr A. E. Waller.
Trombones – Messrs J. Ward, F. Turner, T. Fountain and F. W. Scott.
Eb Bass – Messrs F. Swain, J. Mooring and E. Bailey.
BBb – S. Everett and E. E. Ellingham.
Drums – Mr F. Dobbs.
Mr Tearle, who is at present in a military band in England, has yet to be demobilised, and three other members are still abroad – Messrs P. Osborne and P. Mooring (cornets) and H. Cooper (horn).
Mr A. Mullett was killed in action, and Mr S. Cannon died in a sanatorium after being invalided out of the Army.
The reorganised band made its first public appearance at a concert at the Winter Assembly Hall on Sunday, March 30th, 1919.